At Interaxon, we develop engaging experiences using brain-sensing technology. We are a passionate team of researchers, technical experts and scientists building the world’s leading science-based brain platform to empower personal transformation through human-centred innovation. Our Muse headbands are designed to make meditation easier and provide real-time audio and visual feedback on your meditative state through the Muse companion app. www.choosemuse.com
As a Senior Full Stack Developer at Interaxon, you will be a key member of the software development team focused on developing and maintaining our web-based applications and third-party service integrations. This position will work closely with our business stakeholders, architects and data engineers to continuously evolve our mission-critical web applications and data systems from the front end to the back end.
This is a hands-on position that will see you both developing applications as well as assisting with the ongoing support of our cloud infrastructure. You will be collaborating with stakeholders across teams to ensure our applications and services are designed to support current business needs, while also being prepared to scale as our customer base and product offerings continue to grow.
This role is remote-friendly, with a preference for candidates based in Canada.
- You stay on top of the technology stacks you work with, are interested in technologies that you do not, and are always excited to share what you learn.
- You love to learn almost as much as you love to share your knowledge.
- You can work independently with minimal oversight but deeply enjoy the process of collaborating with team members with a wide variety of skills and expertise.
- You are ready to jump in over your head but know when to ask for help.
- You believe that if you are not challenged from time to time, you are not able to fully grow both personally and professionally.
- Work with brand guidelines and dialogue with our marketing team to ensure that all interface design concepts align with the visual brand without sacrificing usability.
- Keep tabs on other ongoing UX and market research processes (surveys, analytics, ethnography, etc.) to maintain a high-level understanding of product and user experience.
About our core technology stack:
- On the backend: Applications are primarily written in web frameworks such as Flask, for headless applications that drive REST APIs, and Ruby on Rails for more complicated, forms-based applications that work with highly related data.
- The core of our cloud systems run on Google Cloud Platform. Google App Engine, Cloud Functions, Cloud Storage, Cloud Datastore, Cloud SQL, Dataflow, BigQuery are just some of the services we use.
- We use Auth0 for identity management.
What you'll be doing:
- Define, develop, document and maintain scalable and distributed, full stack web applications from the frontend to the backend.
- Work directly with business stakeholders, architects and data engineers to thoroughly understand business requirements and be able to translate them into practical, reliable, and efficient applications and services that power our business in the cloud.
- Help empower fellow cloud team members through training, documentation and mentorship.
- Review code from others in a collaborative way. No stone goes unturned.
- Test your code, ensuring high coverage and shipping features that you are proud of.
- Share your opinion and experience in technical design sessions, developer processes and practices.
- Develop your craft as you learn something new and grow while on our team.
Your skills and experience:
- 5+ years of combined experience building full-stack web applications and services in Ruby, Node.js, and Python with demonstrable experience using Ruby on Rails and Flask web frameworks. Rails experience is required.
- Experience with relational database data modeling.
- Experience using both SQL (Postgres, MySQL) and NoSQL databases (Google Cloud Datastore) for the data persistent layer, having a solid understanding of different data design principles and trade-offs of both.
- Familiarity with Internationalization (I18n) for web applications as well as systems that provide localized content to mobile applications. Bonus points for experience with Content Management Systems.
- Expert in Git.
- Experience with CI/CD tools.
- Experience with both frontend and backend testing platforms, writing and executing your own tests during development.
- Familiarity with Agile/Scrum methodology.
- Computer Science or similar degree or equivalent professional experience.
- Bonus points for having experience building RESTful APIs, leveraging OpenAPI.
What we offer:
Our collaborative culture is an extension of our vision to empower personal transformation to improve lives and change the world. We have a flexible working environment, on-going work from home options, a great benefits package, weekly team meditations and Zoom yoga, and a commitment to keeping connected while working apart. Join a team passionate about making a difference.
Interaxon is a company fueled on innovation and inclusion. We believe that diversity is an essential part of our workplace culture, and we continue to grow our team through equal opportunity and barrier-free recruitment. Additionally, if you require any accommodations during the selection process, please let us know!
Note: We suggest adding "apps.bamboohr.com" to your contact list so you don't miss any emails from us regarding your application.